Increasing Program Enrollment by Over 200%: What Educators and Course Creators Can Learn From The CEO of Girls Who CodeMay 23, 2022
Interested in sponsoring this show or trying podcast ads for your business? Go to zen.ai/ellen and fill out the contact information so Zencastr can help you bring your business story to life.
Sign up for a 2-week free trial with Norby!
Listen on Spotify
This week’s case study reveals how Girls Who Code increased enrollment in their programs by more than 200% during a global pandemic, a jump from 1600 to 5,000 students enrolled that brought their total students served to over 500,000. We’re joined in this interview by Dr. Tarika Barrett, the CEO of Girls Who Code, an international non-profit organization working to close the gender gap in technology.
With over two decades of building educational pathways for young people at organizations like the New York City Department of Education and New York University’s Center for Research on Teaching and Learning, along with an impressive list of accolades received for her work, including being named one of Crain’s 50 Most Powerful Women in New York in 2021, Dr. Tarika Barrett is an expert in education innovation. Whether you’re a course creator, nonprofit leader, or online educator and coach, this conversation will help you impact more lives with the work you do.
Connect with Dr. Tarika:
Check out some of Girls Who Code's Culture Campaigns:
- The first ever codable music video with Doja Cat
- 'Healing' featuring Lizzo
- Girls Who Code book series with Penguin
- American Girl x Girls Who Code Collaboration Doll - Courtney Moore
- What the internet would look like without female coders.
Favorite Takeaways From This Episode:
- “I stand on the shoulder of generations of inspiration.”
- How Tarika harnesses her leadership to allow equal access for students of color.
- “I had the agency to be the change I wanted to see.”
- “You have to exist at the intersection of bravery and opportunity.”
- You have to disrupt the status quo.
- “By addressing this growing gender gap in tech, we’re empowering our young people to really think about the thriving and exciting careers that come with tech.”
- Tarika’s story speaks to the miracle of how much can happen within just a few generations.
- How they scaled their program in a way they would have never done if it weren't for the pandemic.
- What was the underutilized channel they used to survey their community.
- “You can’t be what you can’t see”
- How to reach more of your target audience where they are already at.
- “We need to make sure that our girls + young women have a seat at the table because tech is as good as the diverse group of people who are building it.”
- How increased enrollment impacted revenue + support for the organization.
- Make sure people understand the relevance of the work you’re doing.
- In the 1980s, women made up almost half the computing industry.
- “Being a CEO means for me that our girls see me.”
⚡ LIGHTNING ROUND QUESTIONS⚡
- What phone app do you use the most?
- What class did you struggle most with in school?
- What are you currently reading?
What Did You Think?
What was your biggest takeaway from this episode? Let us know on Instagram @cubicletoceo.
Sign up for our text reminders!
Sign up for texts every Monday where you'll get our favorite highlight from each week's new podcast episode! Don't miss out on this direct access to episode tips, quotes, + case studies that will start your week off strong.
Are we not email friends yet? Make sure you download my income report at ellenyin.com for my "6 figures in 6 months" case study for a transparent look at how I made $102,721.44 in a 6 month time span in 2019!
If you enjoyed today's episode, please:
- Sign up for our text notifications at ellenyin.com/superfan so you can be the first to know when a new case study has dropped!
- Post a screenshot & key takeaway on your IG story and tag me @missellenyin & @cubicletoceo so I can repost you.
- Leave a positive review on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe for new episodes every Monday
Service-based entrepreneurs, are you tired of being on the content hamster wheel + hustling for more followers without more income? I created a FREE, on-demand training just for you on how to use my step-by-step client attraction system to create your first $10K month, WITHOUT a large audience or complicated marketing strategies! Claim your bonus gift by watching now: ellenyin.com/getclients