Your MBA In Creative Negotiation: How Kim Kaupe Got A Client To Pay Her $15K Over Asking Price After They Initially Said “No”Nov 22, 2021
You get to meet one of my favorite people today! Kim Kaupe is a true wonder woman who has made her mark on stages worldwide as a keynote speaker and the mastermind behind Bright Ideas Only, a fan engagement agency with A-list clientele like Paul McCartney, Oprah, my personal favorite Taylor Swift, and the NY Mets, to name just a few. Not to mention her work has landed her offers from 4 out of 5 sharks on Shark Tank, a role as judge of the Miss USA pageant, and spots on coveted industry lists like Inc.’s 35 Under 35, Advertising Age’s 40 Under 40, and Forbes 30 Under 30.
Today’s conversation with Kim is easily one of the top 10 most valuable episodes we’ve recorded on this podcast to date.
We’re dissecting the case study of how Kim used creative negotiation tactics to turn a “no, we can’t afford you” response into a client paying $15,000 more than what they initially offered.
If negotiating makes you sweat, Kim’s advice will give you a MBA in negotiation in under an hour.
Keep listening to learn how you too, can get paid over your asking rate when you learn how to problem solve pricing objections WITH your clients.
Connect with Kim:
Favorite Takeaways From This Episode:
- How she wound up being an accidental entrepreneur.
- How Bright Ideas Only got 4/5 sharks approval from Shark Tank.
- What Kim did to take a $30K contract offer to $45K.
- Pro tip: always offer a higher price than you think because people will always want to talk you down - but if they don’t that’s great!
- “If you’re not hearing no in your business, you’re not pushing hard enough.”
- You should be hearing "no" 1 out of every 3-4 proposals you send… period.
- Your two options for when a potential client comes back to you saying they can't afford your services.
- The services Bright Ideas Only provides for their clients.
- How Kim creatively approaches problem solving when getting clients to sign contracts.
- Why getting on the phone will improve your collaborative efforts.
- You'll never have someone be upset with you when you just want to hear their full story.
⚡ LIGHTNING ROUND QUESTIONS⚡
- What is your favorite holiday and why?
- If you could sing one song on American Idol, what would it be?
- Dog or cat person?
What Did You Think?
What was your biggest takeaway from this episode? Let us know on Instagram @cubicletoceo.
Sign up for our text reminders!
Sign up for texts every Monday where you'll get our favorite highlight from each week's new podcast episode! Don't miss out on this direct access to episode tips, quotes, + case studies that will start your week off strong.
Are we not email friends yet? Make sure you download my income report at ellenyin.com for my "6 figures in 6 months" case study for a transparent look at how I made $102,721.44 in a 6 month time span in 2019!
If you enjoyed today's episode, please:
- Join our referral rewards program by signing up for our text notifications at ellenyin.com/superfan , and share your custom referral link with your biz besties to get them to sign up too!
- Post a screenshot & key takeaway on your IG story and tag me @missellenyin & @cubicletoceo so I can repost you.
- Leave a positive review on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe for new episodes every Monday
Service-based entrepreneurs, are you tired of being on the content hamster wheel + hustling for more followers without more income? I created a FREE, on-demand training just for you on how to use my step-by-step client attraction system to create your first $10K month, WITHOUT a large audience or complicated marketing strategies! Claim your bonus gift by watching now: ellenyin.com/getclients